JOB OPENING: Executive Producer/Manager of National Programs
Position located in Albuquerque, NM)
Koahnic Broadcast Corporation seeks an Executive Producer/Manager for National Programs.
We are looking for a highly creative individual with demonstrated ability to lead a staff of radio producer, hosts and reporters who are working to fulfill the mission of KBC, “to be the leader in bringing Native voices to Alaska and the nation.” The Executive Producer/Manager will provide focus to existing productions as well as develop plans for new innovative programming; play a role in developing grant ideas; and assist our President and CEO in securing funding from private foundations, tribes, corporations and government agencies.
Specific Duties – National Shows: The Executive Producer (EP) will oversee all aspects of daily production of the nationally-distributed programs National Native News and Native America Calling, including:
- Supervising host and producers;
- Screening and recommending new hires;
- Directing editorial process in collaboration with host and producers;
- Editing content;
- Creating/recommending and managing budgets (grants);
- Setting work schedules.
- Play a role in guiding production and national promotion of the weekly music program Earthsongs.
- Help the programs remain competitive and project the intended brand image of KBC national programs.
- Introduce new concepts and best practices throughout the work unit and in our national programming.
- Collaborate with Native Voice1 Manager, and KBC President & CEO on marketing and promotion of KBC’s national shows with stations and at national meetings and conferences.
- Develop and build upon existing relationships with tribes and various organizations in the Southwest and Indian Country.
- The EP will work to form collaborative projects with other organizations and provide leadership in adding creative elements to our programming.
- Communicate marketing needs, write press releases and respond to press inquiries on a case-by-case basis.
- Plan for proper training for staff development, and securing adequate tools for staff to better be able to fulfill organizational goals.
- Responsible for running the office and handling general administrative needs of Albuquerque staff.
- Recruit and oversee interns.
- Keep staff on track to fulfill deliverables/goals of grants and strategic plan.
- Evaluate performance and provide feedback to staff members.
- Develop and institute plan for back-up staffing.
- Document standard operating procedures for national programming staff.
Reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive leadership style and a strong journalism background
- First-hand experience with Native American media/journalism or related role in AK Native or Native American communities is essential.
- Proven track record in project management including project leadership, problem-solving, budgeting, and staff supervision required.
- Effective communication/presentation skills and experience in public broadcasting is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with various computer operating systems, technology, social media and audio tools and apps is helpful.
The ideal candidate has an awareness of best practices in producing programs of highest broadcast standards and journalistic integrity essential, and has a passion for bringing native issues, culture and perspectives to a wide audience. For full consideration, applications must be received by February 16, 2015. Salary: DOE. Excellent Benefits, including 401K Koahnic Broadcast Corp. is an equal opportunity employer.